2 - Trainee Instructor In At The Deep End!?



Today it is two weeks since I started my trainee instructor journey! In this post I will talk about what I have been up to...

Teaching My First Class!


On Wednesday 7th March 2018 I was "in charge" of my first ever class!

My dedicated instructor, Sihing Simon, went on an "educational" skiing trip for the week and let me run some classes! Master Andrew Cameron, Sifu Scott Rowlinson and several other school owners from around the country were on the trip too.

I am extremely grateful to Sihing Simon for giving me the opportunity to run the classes!

Complimentary Lessons


Not only did Sihing Simon allow me to run the class, he was also prepared to let me loose on some students taking a free trial lesson (link here)!

I remember my first session very well. It was at WCI Coventry with Sihing Chris Pole and I loved it!

I know first hand how daunting it can be as a novice so I was looking forward to doing my utmost to make the new guys feel welcome and comfortable. I gave the three of them a quick phone call in the morning of the class just to make sure they know where they are going and where to park etc.

Unfortunately none of them answered the calls so I just left messages and my contact number in case of any issues.

The First Lesson!


I do not know if it is a good or a bad thing but only one of the trial class students turned up! Maybe it made it a little easier for me there being only one!!??

The new guy was a little bit late getting there but out of kindness I decided against handing out any disciplinary action!!! 😆

Sihing Simon gave me a list of things to cover for new students. Unfortunately I was a bit pushed for time (and very inexperienced!) so a few things had to be omitted.

We covered forms (Siu Nim Tao), some footwork (circling step, advancing step), a little bit of theory (centre line theory), Lat Sau (parts 1-3) and some punch defence.

I wanted to do some punching drills at the end too but time had almost run out and I needed to explain to the new student about the courses we offer at Wing Chun International.

I must say he seemed very keen but it remains to be seen (one week later) if he will join us. I appreciate it takes time to make these decisions but we humans are very weak and are EXPERT EXCUSE MAKERS!

Obviously I cannot recommend enrolling highly enough - joining WCI has been a life changing and empowering decision for me and certainly for Sihing Simon and all of the other guys have met too.


The Second Lesson!


On Thursday evening I ran the session at WCI Solihull. On this occasion I had three new students to introduce to Wing Chun and set them on their journeys!

One of the guys had to make an emergency petrol stop on the way so again we were pushed for time!

It was not a problem. I followed the same lesson structure as the night before and other than teaching a couple of things in the wrong sequence it went very well. (This is bearing in mind that "very well" is a relative term! I am not expecting to be too good at this in my first week!!!)

As of today (6 days later), none of the new guys at Solihull have enrolled which kind of surprises me as they seemed fairly keen. I called them all the next day just to thank them for coming and to see if they had any questions I could answer but none of them replied (or called me back).

I am not sure whether to follow up again with them. There is a big part of me that appreciates that people sometimes need a push in the right direction. I know for a fact that joining us at Wing Chun International will bring huge value to their lives so I do feel like I would be helping them if I gave them a gentle "nudge"!

Things To Work On As A Trainee Instructor


I focused a lot on the new students in the classes which was a little unfair on the current students. I did give them stuff to work on but there was a definite bias and that need not be the case. I will practise and improve this.

Timing. I did not watch the clock enough. I need to keep an eye on how long I spend on each subject and try to fit in as many different things as possible whilst making sure to keep the quality high. Again this will come with practise and I will improve it!

Following up (new students). I need to speak to my peers about this. I want to push people to make improvements in their lives but I do not want to be too pushy!!! I know quite a lot about selling and closing and whilst I know we have something of great value to offer here (and the students originally came to us) I do not want to do the wrong thing and "sell" too hard!

Summary


I really really enjoyed my opportunity to teach in two classes and would like to thank Sihing Simon and Wing Chun International for giving me that chance.

I made mistakes for sure but mistakes are one of the best learning tools available. I look forward to improving in those areas in which I erred and in all other areas where I can improve.

Learning Point


When I put myself in positions where I am vulnerable, can make mistakes and can experience failure I MAKE THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENTS and MAKE HUGE PROGRESS which in turn makes me feel FULFILLED.

This is a massive life lesson I feel. The Comfort Zone is making us (humans) weak.

Get out there... Get after it... Explode!!!

Thanks for reading!

Chris.

----

Coming Soon:-

Two day Wing Chun Seminar with Master Andrew Cameron (March 24th - 25th)
Teaching Children's Classes!?
Getting (fighting) Fit!